If I were to be honest, I would say that I didn’t really expect much to have changed when I reentered the work force a couple of weeks ago.
And in saying that, I would be wrong. So very, very wrong.
Therefore, in list fashion, I submit to you things that returning to work has taught me:
- I have really lost all of my fashion sense. Today I am wearing a black shirt and black pants and have really no discernible body shape (aside from “round”). Josh poked fun at my outfit this morning, asking me if I was working backstage on some production he wasn’t aware of…when the real answer is that I just picked up the first thing I saw in the clean clothes area this morning. I wanted to be comfortable…but I have fallen kind of far from that as well. I’m just glad I can wear jeans tomorrow.
- People are, truly, just as odd as I’ve always remembered.
- Makeup is actually kind of fun. Seriously it’s kind of like dressup everyday.
- People look in windows as they pass by them. Without fail.
- Adele really is perfect.
- People with unlocked wifi are gracious angels from heaven.
- There is something to be said for working in the heart of the town you’ve known for always.
- There’s also something to be said for working alongside people you like.
- It’s difficult to rearrange your life when you’ve become accustomed to one way. Even if the new way is better.
So there you have it.
Things have been happening. My big sister moved away, and that’s been….weird. I haven’t been able to run much (read = at all) because I am a great big pansy about the heat and about sleeping as long as I can.
So the upshot of it all is that while I need to rethink my wardrobe decisions, I really think I’m going to like the way things are these days.