I fall for these ridiculous “25 things about me” things every. Single. Time. I freely admit it. That said, I shall commence.
1. I wake up every day fully expecting something life-changing to happen. Really. This aspect of my personality has only really developed in the past year or so, but it’s made me a bit more of an anxious person. However, if something DOES happen, I’m really not usually surprised.
2. I turn 29 in less than a week, and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I go back and forth on how I feel about aging. Some days I think I want to fully embrace it, and some days I think if I let myself I could be a collagen pumping plastic Barbie nastycake. It ebbs and flows.
3. I failed miserably at my first attempt at marriage. If you’re reading this, you probably know that. What you probably don’t know, though, is that in this second go-round, I have committed myself – perhaps for the first time in my life – with a full understanding of the concept of the vows that I took. The whole “for better and for worse” thing. I believe it and I am fully enveloped in it. To the extent that some people don’t quite understand. I find the statement, “well, you were divorced before…” or anything like it to be incredibly offensive.
4. I would like to go back to school, major in psychology, and become a therapist. Most people (the online people, I haven’t told much anyone in real life, actually) in whom I have confided this have done their best to talk me out of it and told me how much work it would take, how a psychology degree would be worthless without a Ph.D, etc etc…. I don’t care. It doesn’t discourage me. I’m not afraid to work. It’s the money of school that deters me.
5. I have a friend in England. I don’t have many friends around here. I cry at least once a month because I think about how much wonderful fun it would be to be a part of her life.
6. I freely admit that the reason I don’t have many friends is because I’m a lazy friend. It takes a lot of work to be a local friend, especially when most of the people around here aren’t my type. I’m ok with that, though. It does suck, though, when I need someone and my one or two lifelines are busy and the ubermega lifeline is in Memphis. It helps that I like the person I married – mostly.
7. I miss running.
8. I can do a cartwheel. Yes, I totally can.
9. I give things away. Things that are really special to me. And in doing so, I remember the recipient forever. For example, I had a pair of red shoes that I bought in Ireland when I went in 1998. Before my friend Maggie left school at the end of my freshman year in college, I gave them to her. I will never forget Maggie because I loved her enough to give her those shoes.
<<10. I would like to knit these. I don’t have the right kind of yarn, and nowhere around here sells it. I think if I knitted these I would wear them all the freaking time.
11. The whole knitting thing is becoming a kind of quiet therapy. I get stressed or bored – I knit.
12. I had all but abandoned my religious beliefs until a few months ago.
13. I tried sushi. Yes, I did. I really did not like it.
14. I stopped myself from making this one about knitting too. Instead I’ll just say that I don’t think I drink enough water every day.
15. Contrary to all the above stated evidence, I really like people. I do. I think I have some kind of social anxiety I need to work through.
16. I read books by intelligent people and – albeit briefly – afterwards I feel much smarter.
17. I think everyone should be required to watch at least one episode of the Cosby show a day.
18. I never watched Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street or the original Halloween. I did, however, go on a blind date once to see Halloween H20 and the guy I was with screamed like a girl. It was awful.
19. I was looking for a very specific Alabama sweater for Josh. I couldn’t find it anywhere. I thought to myself, “hey, it’s a good idea to see if Dick’s [the sporting goods store] has it online.” So what did I do? I typed in d i c k s .com without thinking. I am, in fact, an idiot.
20. Even more idiotic is that I admitted the above fact to various people who will never let me forget it.
21. I’m extremely clumsy. I trip – though I don’t fall – a lot.
22. If you set me loose in a vitamin store, I would spend all day and all my money. Vitamins promise the world.
23. I’m sporadic with makeup. At one point both my mom and my sister sold makeup – heck, my mom even went to a Big Hair BeautiControl convention once in Dallas. Me? Sometimes I forget I even have a face.
24. I am getting acne at almost 30 years of age. My best friend went to the dermatologist in high school and he told her something along the lines of, “Well, at least if you have acne now, you won’t have it in your 30s.” Me, in my infinite teenage wisdom, I think to myself, “What a crock of dermatologist horseplop.” Well, turns out it wasn’t. I have the horseplop on my face to prove it.
25. I made it through almost 25 things and didn’t mention my kids once. I am kind of proud and kind of sad. Max made a sign not long ago to inform all of his class that “hell” was a bad word. It said “Bad word: hell”. I saved it. He’ll laugh about it one day.
There. That’s not all, but that’s enough for now.